Thursday, January 13, 2011

Byron Poem

It never grew as it should.
It never let off that sweet scent.
I would have changed it if I could,
But that was never my intent.

Made of plastic, it’s beauty amazed.
It almost seemed to be enough.
Temporarily it kept me dazed,
but now I realize it was all a bluff.

At the time, it seemed like the better pick,
But its once vibrant color fades still.
Now it’s time to face the music.
Things not true can never fulfill.

Both the flower and our love,
Were masked by authenticity.
But from the beginning it was known,
Underneath hid insincerity.

This poem is “romantic” in that it portrays the natural over the artificial. In this poem, an artificial type of love is compared to an artificial flower. Like the flower, the love does not fulfill as if it were real. In the end, the natural or real type of flower and love triumphs over the fake. The poem followed the rhyme scheme of Byron’s “On This Day I Complete My Thirty-Sixth Year.”


Byron, Lord. “On This Day I Complete My Thirty-Sixth Year.” British Literature. Ed. Ronald A. Horton. 2nd ed. Greenville, SC: BJU Press, 2003. 562-562. Print.


No comments:

Post a Comment