Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Chapters I-IV Questions

If I were to dedicate a “spiritual” book, I would dedicate it to my sister. She is a great example to me and teaches me so much.


Chapter I: Give an example or two about situations in which you are "...attending to universal issues and withdrawing...attention from the stream of immediate sense experiences" (Lewis, 2).
     One way that I do this is texting my sister when she is in the room right next to me. Another is when I am in a class, and I am concentrating on something completely different.

Chapter II: What kind of clarity do you think Hell provides (Lewis, 7)?
     I think that it provides the clarity that one can only get from being in Hell, which is that your views on earth were wrong, and you have to spend eternity suffering because of it.

Chapter II: What are your thoughts on church? Is it something you “do” every week?
     To me, church is the time that I worship God and fellowship with other Christians. I do this every week.

Chapter III: What are your "daily pinpricks" (Lewis, 11)?
     A “daily pinprick” of mine is when people chew loudly. Another is when people bite their nails.

Chapter IV: What are your thoughts on prayer? Compare your prayer life to this chapter.
    Prayer is important because it is how we can communicate with God our thoughts, thankfulness, and requests. In comparison with this chapter, I am sometimes guilty of parrot-like prayers. I do not talk to God like he was an object in my room, but rather like he was there as a family member or friend.

Lewis, Clive S. The Screwtape Letters. New York: HarperCollins, 1996. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment