Thursday, August 19, 2010

Chapters V-VII Questions

Chapter V: What is Screwtape’s idea on the best way for humans to die? Why?
     Screwtape believed that the best way for humans to die was in the care of doctors and nurses that lied to them by promising them life while they are dying. This is because they would not be concerned or prepared for death.

Chapter VI: How does “...malice thus becomes wholly real and the benevolence largely imaginary” (Lewis, 28)? How does this apply to your life?
     Malice becomes wholly real, and benevolence becomes largely imaginary when one directs malice to those he knows well and directs benevolence to those he does not. This can apply to my life when I treat nicely those who I do not know very well, but take for granted and treat poorly those that I do.

Chapter VII: How do you picture the devil? What does this chapter challenge you about regarding the spiritual warfare over your soul?
     I picture the devil as someone that looks frightening and evil with horns and a pitchfork. This chapter challenges me to be more aware of my motives and pursuits that affect the spiritual warfare over my soul.

Chapter VIII: What is the “law of Undulation” (Lewis, 37)? Give an example of this in your life.
     The “law of Undulation” is the repeated return to a level from which one repeatedly falls back, a series of troughs and peaks. An example of this in my life is my enthusiasm for driving. In the beginning, I was excited to drive, but later it became a hassle. After I learned more, it became exciting again, and the process continued.

Chapter VIII: “Our cause is never more in danger, than when a human, no longer desiring, but intending, to do our Enemy's will, looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished, and asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys. (Lewis 40). What are your thoughts on this?
     I think that it is interesting. For one to intend to obey God’s will, when He seems to have disappeared, takes a lot of faith and trust in God. I hope to have that level of faith in God, if a situation like that were to happen to me.

Lewis, Clive S. The Screwtape Letters. New York: HarperCollins, 1996. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment